Press enter to search

Research & Commentary

From academics to activists, thoughtful people worldwide are focusing their attention on economic inequality as never before.

COLAs, CPIs, and the $14 Minimum Wage

January 2, 2012 /


Inflation has been steadily eroding the value of the U.S. minimum wage over recent decades. But inflation only explains part of the story why the minimum wage has become such...

The Realonomy versus the Wealthy 1%

December 29, 2011 /

by Salvatore Babones

According to the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis, the economy is growing again.  In fact, it's been growing since July 2009.  The economy grew in the second half of 2009,...

Employment in Today’s Realonomy

December 26, 2011 /

by Salvatore Babones

The past few months have brought us headlines like "Sharp Drop in Unemployment Rates" and "New Unemployment Claims at 9-Month Low."  It sounds like employment trends today are finally looking up. ...

‘Tis the Season to Shop Tiffany’s

December 24, 2011 /

by Salvatore Babones

Retail sales are up in the top 1 percent's Plutonomy, but down in the Realonomy where the other 99 percent live. By Salvatore Babones The economy is expanding, the unemployment...

Make the Payroll Tax Cut Permanent

December 20, 2011 /

by Salvatore Babones

A basic principle of modern tax theory is that rich people should pay more as a percent of their income than poor people.  The more income you have, the less...

Learn More...

Blogging Our Great Divide

Stay informed

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter