If world’s big corporations prefer to sit on trillions of dollars in order to avoid paying taxes, let them. If they won’t invest, we should.
How can sales of super-luxury cars grow at super-fast rates during a recession? The answer is simple: it’s not a recession for everyone.
Call it vote-buying if you want, but when a government effectively buys the votes of 80 or 90 percent of the population, I call that government of the people, by the people, for the people.
How can things be so much worse now when the economy is essentially in the same place it was five or six years ago? The answer in two words is: Rising inequality.
In the real economy – the place where the 99% live and work – it’s hard to take Mitt Romney’s plan seriously; but let’s try to make sense of it anyway, unhindered by logic, arithmetic or the laws of time, space and gravity.
Real national income has grown in every quarter since July 2009. The problem isn’t a lack of growth. The problem is where that growth is going.
America has finally started talking about a financial transactions tax on Wall Street. But in the post- Citizens United era of unlimited corporate campaign spending, expect corporate dollars to trump the public good.
Median household income fell more than 6% in the last decade, yet national income per household grew 6%. Where did all that money go?
The fundamental problem in the eurozone isn’t Greek debt or Spanish banks. It’s low German wages.
Economists will give you all sorts of answers based on technical factors, but in the end it all comes down to one word: inequality.
Would it be such a terrible thing if fast food workers got a twenty percent raise this year while executives took a pay cut? It’s not our economy that needs rethinking; it’s our ethics.
The fact that the average American household today has an income of $50,000 instead of $100,000 can be attributed entirely to the fact that inequality has risen over the past four decades instead of declining.
The US economy has been growing since July 2009. So why aren’t things improving in the US realonomy?
“Tax and spend.” Those three dirty words are now the key to economic recovery in America’s Realonomy.
When we see outrageous bonuses for federal workers in good times, it’ll be fair to freeze their pay in bad times.
Declines in government spending are holding back GDP growth at a time governments at all levels should be hiring to create jobs.
Recession or Depression? The FOMC expects current conditions to last at least until 2014.
The economy isn’t in depression. It’s just you. It’s the Realonomy.
By defunding the IRS Congress has virtually eliminated the audit threat for the wealthy, in effect handing dishonest individuals a massive tax cut.
Twenty million Americans need jobs. Government regulation and government employment are key to putting them back to work. We must reregulate the realonomy.
Leaving aside the wealthy 1%, the other 99% Realonomy has been in recession for a dozen years or more.
At long last the jobs figures are improving — or are they?
Retail sales are up this holiday season in the top 1 percent plutonomy, but down in the realonomy where the other 99 percent live. And it’s not just the poor who are struggling. Even high-income, college-educated professionals have seen no income growth in over a dozen years.