- United for a Fair Economy releases State of the Dream, an annual appraisal of American inequality published in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- The World Economic Forum — the largest annual global assembly of corporate, financial, and governmental executives — convenes in Davos, Switzerland.
- Wall Street financial institutions release annual bonus data.
- The Economic Policy Institute releases annual State of Working America, a statistical compendium that tracks income and wealth inequality over time and contrasts worker and executive compensation.
- The Internal Revenue Service releases income data for the top 400 income-earners in the United States.
- The Federal Reserve Board releases the triennial Survey of Consumer Finances, a survey of U.S. household wealth and income distribution.
- Forbes magazine publishes The World’s Billionaires, an annual ranking of the global super rich.
- Knight Frank and Citi Private Bank release The Wealth Report, an annual global perspective on prime residential property and wealth.
- The Levy Economics Institute of Bard College publishes Recent Trends in Household Wealth in the United States, a triennial report by New York University economist Edward Wolff.
- The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, USA Today, and Forbes publish the first round of annual CEO pay reports.
- The Institute for Policy Studies publishes its annual Tax Day report.
- Labor groups around the world celebrate May 1 as a day of struggle against inequality.
- The Boston Consulting Group publishes its annual Global Wealth Report.
- Capgemini and Merrill Lynch Wealth Management publish their annual World Wealth Report.
- University of California Center for Equitable Growth director Emmanuel Saez releases his annual Income Inequality in the United States analysis of IRS data.
- The Institute for Policy Studies publishes the annual Executive Excess executive pay report.
- Forbes releases the annual Forbes 400 list of America’s richest.
- The U.S. Census Bureau releases annual income data drawn from the Current Population Survey.
- The Credit Suisse Research Institute publishes its annual Global Wealth Report.
- The United Nations publishes the annual Human Development Report.
- Too Much, a weekly on excess and inequality published by the Institute for Policy Studies, releases a list of America’s ten most greedy individuals of the year.