- The World Economic Forum — the largest annual global assembly of corporate, financial, and governmental executives — convenes in Davos, Switzerland. Recent forums have identified deepening income inequality as the number one significant trend to watch in our world today.
- The Boston-based advocacy group United for a Fair Economy releases State of the Dream, an annual appraisal of American inequality published in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Restaurant Opportunities Center United will organize its annual $2.13 Day of Action to call attention to the federal tipped minimum wage of $2.13 for restaurant workers.
- Forbes magazine publishes The World’s Billionaires, an annual ranking of the global super rich.
- The New York State comptroller’s office releases its annual report on Wall Street bonuses.
- The global property management firm Knight Frank releases its annual Wealth Report, an analysis of wealthy individuals worth over $30 million.
- The New York Times and other major media outlets begin publishing the first round of annual CEO pay reports.
- The AFL-CIO launches their annual Paywatch report on the gaps between CEO and worker pay and what to do about it.
- Labor groups around the world celebrate May 1 as a day of struggle against inequality.
- The Boston Consulting Group publishes its annual Global Wealth Report, a count of high-net-worth households.
- Capgemini and RBC Wealth Management publish their annual World Wealth Report, a count of global millionaire individuals.
- University of California Center for Equitable Growth director Emmanuel Saez releases his annual Income Inequality in the United States analysis of IRS data.
- The United Nations publishes the annual Human Development Report,
- The Institute for Policy Studies publishes the annual Executive Excess executive pay report.
- Forbes releases the annual Forbes 400 list of America’s richest.
- The U.S. Census Bureau releases annual income data drawn from the Current Population Survey.
- The German bank Allianz releases its Global Wealth Report, a look at net financial assets in over 50 nations.
- The Credit Suisse Research Institute publishes its annual Global Wealth Report, a distributional analysis of world adult wealth.
- The United Nations publishes the annual Human Development Report, a cross-country analysis across income and other social yardsticks.
- The Swiss bank UBS and the Singepore-based Wealth-X release their annual World Ultra Wealth Report, a tally of global fortunes worth over $30 million.
- Too Much, the Institute for Policy Studies commentary on excess and inequality, releases a list of America’s ten most greedy individuals of the year.